Friday, February 19, 2010

The Illumination Project

The Illumination Project was brought to Linn-Benton Community College from Portland Community College on Feb. 19. It was a group project done by the students that attend PCC and are involve in social service program. The program was a a set of sketches that the students put on to show different situations that people face that involve racism. I haven't had to deal with much racism, so this made me see how it truly effects people and how racism happens all the time, in different ways, and even when people don't mean to. The main way that this performance effected me was that it made me have the courage to stand up for the rights of people that don't deserve to be treated like that even if I don't know them. We are all still part of this world and have that connections at the very least and that is enough for me to do something about it from now on. It was a valuable event to go to and everyone will connect with it, even if you having been directly effected by racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment